Terms and Conditions
These terms and conditions are applicable to Platter's Online and to the Platter's App brought to You by John Platter SA Wineguide (Proprietary) Limited.
Important clauses, which may limit our responsibility; place an obligation on You to indemnify us; involve an acknowledgement of any fact; or involve some risk for You, will be in bold and italics or highlighted. You must pay special attention to these clauses.
- ECT Act means the Electronic Communications & Transactions Act 25 of 2002;
- Group means Standard Bank Group Limited, its subsidiaries and their subsidiaries.
- Personal Information means information about an identifiable, natural person and where applicable, a juristic person, including, but not limited to information about: race; gender; sex; pregnancy; marital status; nationality; ethnic or social origin; colour; sexual orientation; age; physical or mental health; well-being; disability; religion; conscience; belief; culture; language; birth; education; medical, financial, criminal or employment history; any identifying number, symbol, e-mail, postal or physical address, telephone number; location; any online identifier; any other particular assignment of the person; biometric information; personal opinions, views or preferences of the person or the views or opinions of another individual about the person; correspondence sent by the person that is implicitly or explicitly of a private or confidential nature or further correspondence that would reveal the contents of the original correspondence; and the name of the person if it appears with other personal information relating to the person or if the disclosure of the name itself would reveal information about the person;
- Process means any operation or activity, automated or not, concerning Personal Information, including: alteration, blocking, collation, collection, consultation, degradation, destruction, dissemination by means of transmission, distribution or making available in any other form, erasure, linking, merging, organisation, receipt, recording, retrieval, storage, updating, modification, or the use of information. Processing and Processed will have a similar meaning.
- Platter's / We / Us / Our means John
Platter SA Wine Guide (Proprietary) Limited with registration
number 1999/099729/07, a private company with limited liability
registered in terms of the company laws of the Republic of South
- Platter's App means the version of Platter’s
South African Wine Guide for smartphones, tablets and other
- Platter’s Online means the web-based
version of Platter’s South African Wine
- Terms means the terms and conditions
contained in this document;
- VAT means value added tax;
- Website means www.wineonaplatter.com;
- You / Your means any person who visits
or accesses the Website and/or subscribes to Platter's Online.
- General Information
(as required by the ECT Act)
- The Website, Platter’s Online and Platter's App are owned and
operated by Platter's.
- Our physical address for service of legal documents is:
First Floor, Madison Place
Constantia Main Road
- Our official email address is firstname.lastname@example.org
- Before You use the Website, Platter’s Online or
Platter’s App it is important that You read and understand these
Terms which apply to the use of the Website, Platter’s
Online or Platter’s App.
- Platter’s maintains the Website where You can find
information about Platter’s South African Wine Guide
hard cover, Platter’s Online and Platter’s App.
- These Terms will apply together with any current version
of the Terms which will be available each time You use the
- The Terms will govern the relationship between You and
- You may have other rights granted to You by law, and
these Terms do not affect these rights.
- The terms and conditions of other providers (for example
Apple Inc. and Google Inc.) will apply, and it is important that
You read and understand these before using the Website.
- Goods and Services
- Platter’s South African Wine Guide is the
original and best-selling annual book about the wines and
wineries of South Africa; is published by Platter's; and is
available in the following formats:
- Platter’s South African Wine Guide: a yearly
hard copy book;
- Platter's Online: a web-based publication,
currently comprising the bulk of the data for editions 2008 -
- Platter's App: an application available for
download to devices running iOS® and Android® mobile operating systems.
- Hard copies of Platter’s South African Wine
Guide can be ordered electronically from www.wineonaplatter.com/products,
or otherwise obtained from selected bookstores and other
- Subscriptions to Platter's Online are available
- Platter's App is available from
- We distribute occasional newsletters containing news
updates about Platter's and Platter’s South African
Wine Guide as well as special offers which may be of interest
- On opening Your account, the Website provides You with
an option to receive newsletters and/or marketing which You
can elect to receive or not.
- In the event You choose to receive newsletters and You
later change Your mind, You can unsubscribe at any time by
clicking the unsubscribe link in the newsletter.
- We may communicate with You by e-mail from time to
time. We respect Your privacy and should You wish not to
receive any further email communications from Us, please
unsubscribe from the mailing lists at www.wineonaplatter.com/myplatter.
- Applicability of
- You and visitors to the Website, including subscribers
to Platter's Online, registered recipients of Platter's
newsletter and any other offering on the Website, are bound by
- If You downloaded Platter's App, You will be bound by
the terms and conditions of:
- Apple Media Services Terms and Conditions.
- Google Inc.'s Google Play Terms of Service.
- If You do not agree to these Terms, You must immediately
discontinue using the Website (including Platter's
Online and Platter's App).
- If You choose to use the Website (including Platter's
Online and Platter's App), Your use constitutes
acceptance of these Terms.
- Subscription to
- If You don’t already have an account with Us, please
create an account by visiting the Register page and supplying Your email address,
first name, surname, title, creating a unique password and
accepting these Terms and Conditions.
- Activate the account by clicking the activation link
which will be sent to You by Us.
- Purchase a subscription from the Platter’s store (www.wineonaplatter.com/products);
- Provide Your payment details by providing the
cardholder name, card number, CVV digits (the last 3 digits on
the back of the card), the expiry date of the card and
accepting these Terms.
- Once We have received Your payment successfully, You
will receive a confirmatory email and You will be a
- We reserve the right, whether for purposes of
preventing suspected fraud or otherwise, to refuse to accept
or process an application submitted to Us by You without
giving reasons. We shall in such an instance refund monies
already paid by You but shall accept no further liability
which may arise as a result of its refusal to process Your
- The ECT Act entitles certain users to cancel certain
transactions concluded electronically on a website within 7
days after date of receipt of the goods purchased and to
obtain a full refund of the purchase price. Online
subscriptions, such as Platter’s Online, are
specifically excluded from this provision.
- Notwithstanding the above provision, if for any reason
You would like to cancel Your subscription, You can do so
within 24 hours after concluding Your subscription with Us and
We will refund You Your full subscription price.
- After adding products to Your basket, proceed to the
payment section. Your payment will be securely processed by
the Peach Payments payment gateway (Peach Payments).
- You will be requested to provide Your payment details
by providing the cardholder name, card number, CVV digits (the
last 3 digits on the back of the card), the expiry date of the
card and accepting these Terms.
- Once We have received Your payment successfully, You
will receive a confirmatory email, Your subscriptions will be
enabled and any physical products will be ordered.
- We shall keep a record of Your purchase/s from Platter’s
Online for a period of 12 months following the date of Your
successful subscription. Should You wish to access the
transaction record after this period, You must make a copy and
file it away for record keeping.
- Upon receipt of payment by You to Us of the price (as
set out in 6.4 above), We will send You email confirmation of
Your purchase. Any subscriptions purchased will be immediately
activated and physical products will be ordered and dispatched
as soon as possible, usually within three to five working days.
- Delivery of the email notification (as set out in 7.1)
can take up to 24 hours. If You don’t receive the email
notification within 24 hours after making payment, We will
extend Your subscription for the corresponding period of time.
Please inform Us of any delays as soon as is possible at email@example.com
and We will attend to the necessary adjustments and / or query.
If You experience any problems accessing the Website, Platter’s
Online or any defects on the Website or Platter’s Online, please
report the problem to Us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Access to Platter’s
- Access to Platter's Online will be granted
immediately after receipt by Us from You of a duly completed
application, together with successful payment of the
subscription price confirmed by email.
- Should immediate access not be possible, whether as a
result of a delay with the payment gateway or unavailability of
the Website due to technical reasons, and the delay extends for
longer than 24 hours, We will extend Your subscription for the
corresponding period of time.
- You will be able to access Platter’s Online at
any time following delivery (as set out in 7.1) to You of the
payment confirmation, except if You have deleted the
confirmatory email or if either You or We cancel the transaction
as referred to in clause 6.2 and 6.3 above.
- Platter's Online will be capable of being
accessed with any standard desktop, laptop or mobile computing
scripting language enabled.
- You will need to be connected to the internet whenever
You attempt to access Platter’s Online. Should You
prefer to access Platter's South African Wine Guide in
offline mode, and You own an iPhone®, iPod touch®, iPad® or
Android® device, we suggest You consider downloading Platter’s
- Copyright and Intellectual Property Protection
- Any and all copyright subsisting in the Website,
including these Terms, vests in Us and all rights not
expressly granted and reserved.
- Platter’s Online
- Platter's Online, together with all the
information contained therein, is the exclusive property of
Platter's (and/or its licensors) and is protected by the laws
relating to copyright and intellectual property.
- You may access part or the whole of Platter's
Online for Your personal and non-commercial use only. Any
other use of a part or the whole of Platter's Online
without the publisher's written permission is prohibited, and
You may not modify, transmit, publish, participate in the
transfer or sale of, reproduce, create derivative works from,
distribute, perform, display, or in any way exploit the
content of Platter's Online. It is also prohibited to
print, copy, or ‘lend’ Platter’s Online to any other
person without the written permission of the publisher.
- Should You access Platter's Online, You
acknowledge and agree to these Terms and undertake not to
perform or allow any of the activities mentioned in this
- You agree and warrant that Your login name and
password shall be used for Your personal use only and that You
shall not disclose it to any third party.
- You are encouraged to report any abuse of these
provisions that You may become aware of to Us.
- Posting comments
- You may post comments on the Website which must adhere
to generally accepted norms. By opening an account and / or
subscribing to Platter’s Online You undertake not to
post comments or upload content that –
- constitutes hate speech; incites violence or hatred;
is discriminatory (including, without limitation, racial,
gender or religious slurs); threatens to cause bodily harm; or
- is illegal or unlawful; known to be false or
- infringes or may infringe on the intellectual property
rights or privacy rights of any other person, or infringes on
a duty of non-disclosure to another person; or
- has content that may expose Platter’s or any other
users to harm or liability of any type; impersonates any
person or entity; or conducts an attack on or insults any
person or entity.
- While We review the Website and Platter’s
Online, We cannot edit all the content available on and from
the Website. We accept no liability for an illegal, defamatory
or obscene content.
- Please inform Us of any content that may be offensive or
illegal as set out above by emailing Us or
clicking on the ‘Report Abuse’ link below a comment.
- Apart from the provisions of sections 43(5) and 43(6) of
the ECT Act, We shall not be liable for any damage, loss or
liability of whatsoever nature arising from the use of, or
inability to gain access to the Website, Platter’s Online, or
services or content provided from and through this Website.
- We make no representations or warranties, implied or
otherwise, that the content and technology available from this
Website are free from errors or omissions, or that the service
will always be uninterrupted and error free.
- Information, ideas and opinions expressed on this
Website are for information purposes only. We do not accept
responsibility for any damage or loss that may occur should You
act in reliance on any information.
- The Website and Platter’s Online are hosted,
controlled and operated from the Republic of South Africa and
governed by the law of the Republic of South Africa.
- You agree to the jurisdiction of the courts of the
Republic of South Africa.
- Address for Service
of Legal Notices
- Our address for service of legal notices is:
First Floor, Madison Place
Constantia Main Road
- We shall take all reasonable steps to protect Your Personal Information which is subject to our Privacy Statement, located at https://www.standardbank.co.za/southafrica/personal/about-us/legal/privacy-statement which is hereby incorporated by reference into these Terms.
- You consent to us collecting your Personal Information from you and where lawful and reasonable, from public sources for credit, fraud and compliance purposes, as well as the purposes set out below.
- If you give us Personal Information about or on behalf of another person (including, but not limited to, account signatories, shareholders, principal executive officers, trustees and beneficiaries), you confirm that you are authorised to: (a) give us the Personal Information; (b) consent on their behalf to the Processing of their Personal Information, specifically any cross-border transfer of Personal Information into and outside the country where the products or services are provided; and (c) receive any privacy notices on their behalf.
- You consent to us Processing your Personal Information:
- to provide products and services to you in terms of this agreement and any other products and services for which you may apply;
- to carry out statistical and other analyses to identify potential markets and trends, evaluate and improve our business (this includes improving existing and developing new products and services);
- in countries outside the country where the products or services are provided. These countries may not have the same data protection laws as the country where the products or services are provided. Where we can, we will ask the receiving party to agree to our privacy policies;
- by sharing your Personal Information with our third-party service providers, locally and outside the country where the products or services are provided. We ask people who provide services to us to agree to our privacy policies if they need access to any Personal Information to carry out their services; and
- within the Group.
- You will find our Processing practices in our Privacy Statement.
- If you are unsure about your tax or legal position because your Personal Information is Processed in countries other than where you live, you should get independent advice.
- Any person who delivers or attempts to deliver any
damaging code to this Website, or attempts to gain unauthorised
access to any page on this Website shall be prosecuted and
damages shall be claimed for any loss or damages that We may
suffer as a result.
- You allow Us to take all reasonable steps to ensure the
integrity and security of the Website and back-office
- Credit card transactions will be acquired for Us via
Peach Payments (Pty) Ltd (Peach Payments). Peach Payments uses the strictest form of encryption, namely
Secure Socket Layer 3 (SSL3) and no credit card
- We reserve the right to do the following, at any time
without prior notice to You:
- change these Terms;
- discontinue any part of the Website or Platter’s
Online which is available on the Website.
- Each time You visit the Website, You agree to the
current Terms. In the event that You do not agree with the Terms
You must immediately leave the Website. Please submit any
concerns You may have to Us at email@example.com.
- Amendments or
- We may amend or discontinue the Website at any time. In
the event We discontinue the Website We will endeavour to notify
- When You visit the Website or send emails to Us, You
consent to receiving communications from Us electronically and
agree that all agreements, notices, disclosures and other
communications sent by Us to You satisfy any legal requirements,
including any requirement that such communications should be in
SIGN UP TO OUR NEWSLETTER
Receive the latest news, updates and special offers from Platter's