Terms and Conditions
These terms and conditions are applicable to Platter's Online and to the Website brought to You by John Platter SA Wineguide (Proprietary) Limited.
Important clauses, which may limit our responsibility; place an obligation on You to indemnify us; involve an acknowledgement of any fact; or involve some risk for You, will be in bold and italics or highlighted. You must pay special attention to these clauses.
- ECT Act means the Electronic Communications & Transactions Act 25 of 2002;
- Group means Standard Bank Group Limited, its subsidiaries and their subsidiaries.
- Personal Information means information about an identifiable, natural person and where applicable, a juristic person, including, but not limited to information about: race; gender; sex; pregnancy; marital status; nationality; ethnic or social origin; colour; sexual orientation; age; physical or mental health; well-being; disability; religion; conscience; belief; culture; language; birth; education; medical, financial, criminal or employment history; any identifying number, symbol, e-mail, postal or physical address, telephone number; location; any online identifier; any other particular assignment of the person; biometric information; personal opinions, views or preferences of the person or the views or opinions of another individual about the person; correspondence sent by the person that is implicitly or explicitly of a private or confidential nature or further correspondence that would reveal the contents of the original correspondence; and the name of the person if it appears with other personal information relating to the person or if the disclosure of the name itself would reveal information about the person;
- Process means any operation or activity, automated or not, concerning Personal Information, including: alteration, blocking, collation, collection, consultation, degradation, destruction, dissemination by means of transmission, distribution or making available in any other form, erasure, linking, merging, organisation, receipt, recording, retrieval, storage, updating, modification, or the use of information. Processing and Processed will have a similar meaning.
- Platter's / We / Us / Our means John Platter SA Wine Guide (Proprietary) Limited with registration number 1999/099729/07, a private company with limited liability registered in terms of the company laws of the Republic of South Africa;
- Platter's App means the version of Platter’s South African Wine Guide for smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices;
- Platter’s Online means the online publication version of Platter’s South African Wine Guide;
- Terms means the terms and conditions contained in this document;
- VAT means value added tax;
- Website means www.wineonaplatter.com; and
- You / Your means any person who visits or accesses the Website and/or subscribes to Platter's Online.
- General Information
(as required by the ECT Act)
- The Website and Platter’s Online are owned and operated by Platter's.
- Our physical address for service of legal documents is:
23 Molteno Street
- Our official e-mail address is email@example.com
- Before You use the Website, Platter’s Online or Platter’s App it is important that You read and understand these Terms which apply to the use of the Website, Platter’s Online or the Platter’s App.
- Platter’s maintains the Website where You can find information about Platter’s South African Wine Guide hard cover, Platter’s Online and Platter’s App.
- These Terms will apply together with any current version of the Terms which will be available each time You use the Website.
- The Terms will govern the relationship between You and Us only.
- You may have other rights granted to You by law, and these Terms do not affect these rights.
- The terms and conditions of other providers (for example Apple Inc. and Google Inc.) will apply, and it is important that You read and understand these before using the Website.
- Goods and Services
- Platter’s South African Wine Guide is the
original and best-selling annual book about the wines and
wineries of South Africa; is published by Platter's; and is
available in the following formats:
- Platter’s South African Wine Guide: a yearly hard copy book;
- Platter's Online: an online publication, currently comprising the bulk of the data for editions 2008 - 2018; and
- Platter's App: an application available for download to devices running iOS® Android® mobile operating systems.
- The hard copy of Platter’s South African Wine Guide can be ordered electronically from www.wineonaplatter.com/products, or otherwise obtained from selected bookstores and other outlets.
- Subscriptions to Platter's Online are available from www.wineonaplatter.com/products.
- Platter's App is available from www.wineonaplatter.com/platters_app.
- We distribute occasional newsletters containing news updates about Platter's and Platter’s South African Wine Guide as well as special offers which may be of interest to You.
- On opening Your account, the Website provides You with an option to receive newsletters and/or marketing which You can elect to receive or not.
- In the event You choose to receive newsletters and You later change Your mind, You can unsubscribe at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link in the newsletter.
- We may communicate with You by e-mail from time to time. We respect Your privacy and should You wish not to receive any further email communications from Us, please unsubscribe from the mailing lists at www.wineonaplatter.com/myplatter.
- Platter’s South African Wine Guide is the original and best-selling annual book about the wines and wineries of South Africa; is published by Platter's; and is available in the following formats:
- Applicability of
- You and visitors to the Website, including subscribers to Platter's Online, registered recipients of Platter's newsletter and any other offering on the Website, are bound by these Terms.
- If You downloaded Platter's App, You will be bound by
the terms and conditions of:
- Apple Inc.'s Apple Media Terms and Conditions.
- Google Inc.'s Google Play Terms of Service.
- If You do not agree to these Terms, You must immediately discontinue using the Website (including Platter's Online and Platter's App).
- If You choose to use the Website (including Platter's Online and Platter's App), Your use constitutes acceptance of these Terms.
- Subscription to
- If You don’t already have an account with Us, please create an account by clicking on ‘Don’t have an account? Subscribe here’ and supplying Your email address, first name, surname, title, creating a unique password and accepting these Terms and Conditions.
- Activate the account by clicking the activation link which will be sent to You by Us.
- Purchase a subscription from the Platter’s store (www.wineonaplatter.com/products);
- Provide Your payment details by providing the cardholder name, card number, CVV digits (the last 3 digits on the back of the card), the expiry date of the card and accepting these Terms.
- Once We have received Your payment successfully, You will receive a confirmatory email and You will be a subscriber.
- We reserve the right, whether for purposes of preventing suspected fraud or otherwise, to refuse to accept or process an application submitted to Us by You without giving reasons. We shall in such an instance refund monies already paid by You but shall accept no further liability which may arise as a result of its refusal to process Your subscription application.
- The ECT Act entitles certain users to cancel certain transactions concluded electronically on a website within 7 days after date of receipt of the goods purchased and to obtain a full refund of the purchase price. Online subscriptions, such as Platter’s Online, are specifically excluded from this provision.
- Notwithstanding the above provision, if for any reason You would like to cancel Your subscription, You can do so within 24 hours after concluding Your subscription with Us and We will refund You Your full subscription price.
- After adding products to Your basket, proceed to the payment section. Your payment will be securely processed by the PayGate payment gateway (PayGate).
- You will be requested to provide Your payment details by providing the cardholder name, card number, CVV digits (the last 3 digits on the back of the card), the expiry date of the card and accepting these Terms.
- Once We have received Your payment successfully, You will receive a confirmatory email, Your subscriptions will be enabled and any physical products will be ordered.
- We shall keep a record of Your purchase/s from Platter’s Online for a period of 12 months following the date of Your successful subscription. Should You wish to access the transaction record after this period, You must make a copy and file it away for record keeping.
- Upon receipt of payment by You to Us of the price (as set out in 6.4 above), We will send You email confirmation of Your purchase. Any subscriptions purchased will be immediately activated and physical products will be ordered and dispatched as soon as possible, usually within one business day.
- Delivery of the email notification (as set out in 7.1) can take up to 24 hours. If You don’t receive the email notification within 24 hours after making payment, We will extend Your subscription for the corresponding period of time. Please inform Us of any delays as soon as is possible at firstname.lastname@example.org and We will attend to the necessary adjustments and / or query.
If You experience any problems accessing the Website, Platter’s Online or any defects on the Website or Platter’s Online, please report the problem to Us at email@example.com.
- Access to Platter’s
- Access to Platter's Online will be granted immediately after receipt by Us from You of a duly completed application, together with successful payment of the subscription price confirmed by email.
- Should immediate access not be possible, whether as a result of a delay with the payment gateway or unavailability of the Website due to technical reasons, and the delay extends for longer than 24 hours, We will extend Your subscription for the corresponding period of time.
- You will be able to access Platter’s Online at any time following delivery (as set out in 7.1) to You of the payment confirmation, except if You have deleted the confirmatory email or if either You or We cancel the transaction as referred to in clause 6.2 and 6.3 above.
- You will need to be connected to the internet whenever You attempt to access Platter’s Online. Should You prefer to access Platter's South African Wine Guide in offline mode, and You own an iPhone®, iPod touch®, iPad® or Android® device, we suggest You consider downloading Platter’s App.
- Copyright and Intellectual Property Protection
- Any and all copyright subsisting in the Website, including these Terms, vests in Us and all rights not expressly granted and reserved.
- Platter’s Online
- Platter's Online, together with all the information contained therein, is the exclusive property of Platter's (and/or its licensors) and is protected by the laws relating to copyright and intellectual property.
- You may access part or the whole of Platter's Online for Your personal and non-commercial use only. Any other use of a part or the whole of Platter's Online without the publisher's written permission is prohibited, and You may not modify, transmit, publish, participate in the transfer or sale of, reproduce, create derivative works from, distribute, perform, display, or in any way exploit the content of Platter's Online. It is also prohibited to print, copy, or ‘lend’ Platter’s Online to any other person without the written permission of the publisher.
- Should You access Platter's Online, You acknowledge and agree to these Terms and undertake not to perform or allow any of the activities mentioned in this paragraph 9.
- You agree and warrant that Your login name and password shall be used for Your personal use only and that You shall not disclose it to any third party.
- You are encouraged to report any abuse of these provisions that You may become aware of to Us.
- Posting comments
- You may post comments on the Website which must adhere
to generally accepted norms. By opening an account and / or
subscribing to Platter’s Online You undertake not to
post comments or upload content that –
- constitutes hate speech; incites violence or hatred; is discriminatory (including, without limitation, racial, gender or religious slurs); threatens to cause bodily harm; or
- is illegal or unlawful; known to be false or misleading;
- infringes or may infringe on the intellectual property rights or privacy rights of any other person, or infringes on a duty of non-disclosure to another person; or
- has content that may expose Platter’s or any other users to harm or liability of any type; impersonates any person or entity; or conducts an attack on or insults any person or entity.
- While We review the Website and Platter’s Online, We cannot edit all the content available on and from the Website. We accept no liability for an illegal, defamatory or obscene content.
- Please inform Us of any content that may be offensive or illegal as set out above by emailing Us or clicking on the ‘Report Abuse’ link below a comment.
- You may post comments on the Website which must adhere to generally accepted norms. By opening an account and / or subscribing to Platter’s Online You undertake not to post comments or upload content that –
- Apart from the provisions of sections 43(5) and 43(6) of the ECT Act, We shall not be liable for any damage, loss or liability of whatsoever nature arising from the use of, or inability to gain access to the Website, Platter’s Online, or services or content provided from and through this Website.
- We make no representations or warranties, implied or otherwise, that the content and technology available from this Website are free from errors or omissions, or that the service will always be uninterrupted and error free.
- Information, ideas and opinions expressed on this Website are for information purposes only. We do not accept responsibility for any damage or loss that may occur should You act in reliance on any information.
- The Website and Platter’s Online are hosted, controlled and operated from the Republic of South Africa and governed by the law of the Republic of South Africa.
- You agree to the jurisdiction of the courts of the Republic of South Africa.
- Address for Service
of Legal Notices
- Our address for service of legal notices is:
23 Molteno Street
- Our address for service of legal notices is:
- We shall take all reasonable steps to protect Your Personal Information which is subject to our Privacy Statement, located at http://www.standardbank.co.za/standardbank/About-Us/Privacy-statement which is hereby incorporated by reference into these Terms.
- You consent to us collecting your Personal Information from you and where lawful and reasonable, from public sources for credit, fraud and compliance purposes, as well as the purposes set out below.
- If you give us Personal Information about or on behalf of another person (including, but not limited to, account signatories, shareholders, principal executive officers, trustees and beneficiaries), you confirm that you are authorised to: (a) give us the Personal Information; (b) consent on their behalf to the Processing of their Personal Information, specifically any cross-border transfer of Personal Information into and outside the country where the products or services are provided; and (c) receive any privacy notices on their behalf.
- You consent to us Processing your Personal Information:
- to provide products and services to you in terms of this agreement and any other products and services for which you may apply;
- to carry out statistical and other analyses to identify potential markets and trends, evaluate and improve our business (this includes improving existing and developing new products and services);
- in countries outside the country where the products or services are provided. These countries may not have the same data protection laws as the country where the products or services are provided. Where we can, we will ask the receiving party to agree to our privacy policies;
- by sharing your Personal Information with our third-party service providers, locally and outside the country where the products or services are provided. We ask people who provide services to us to agree to our privacy policies if they need access to any Personal Information to carry out their services; and
- within the Group.
- You will find our Processing practices in our Privacy Statement.
- If you are unsure about your tax or legal position because your Personal Information is Processed in countries other than where you live, you should get independent advice.
- Any person who delivers or attempts to deliver any damaging code to this Website, or attempts to gain unauthorised access to any page on this Website shall be prosecuted and damages shall be claimed for any loss or damages that We may suffer as a result.
- You allow Us to take all reasonable steps to ensure the integrity and security of the Website and back-office applications.
- Credit card transactions will be acquired for Us via PayGate (Pty) Ltd (PayGate), who is the approved payment gateway for The Standard Bank of South Africa Limited. PayGate uses the strictest form of encryption, namely Secure Socket Layer 3 (SSL3) and no credit card details are stored on the Website. PayGate's security certificate and security policy may be viewed here.
- We reserve the right to do the following, at any time
without prior notice to You:
- change these Terms;
- discontinue any part of the Website or Platter’s Online which is available on the Website.
- Each time You visit the Website, You agree to the current Terms. In the event that You do not agree with the Terms You must immediately leave the Website. Please submit any concerns You may have to Us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We reserve the right to do the following, at any time without prior notice to You:
- Amendments or
- We may amend or discontinue the Website at any time. In the event We discontinue the Website We will endeavour to notify You.
- When You visit the Website or send e-mails to Us, You consent to receiving communications from Us electronically and agree that all agreements, notices, disclosures and other communications sent by Us to You satisfy any legal requirements, including any requirement that such communications should be in writing.