Hosted by port producers Axe Hill, Boplaas, Calitzdorp Cellar, De Krans, Du’SwaRoo, Peter Bayly, TTT Cellar and Withoek, with lead sponsor Absa, from Saturday 15 to Monday 17 June, the Calitzdorp Port & Wine Festival offers nonstop activities and entertainment throughout the weekend.
New and not-to-be-missed events include:
· Taste barrel samples of the new and exciting "Calitzdorp Blends", made from Portuguese grape varieties, at participating cellars;
· Experience a cooking demonstration using tinta barocca, touriga nacional and other local wines made from port grapes;
· Listen to acclaimed soprano Zanne Stapelberg and guitarist James Grace perform the critically acclaimed "Canciones en Españolas" (Songs in Spanish);
· Watch populuar musicians Valiant Swart and Rudi die Wynmaker in action at the local school (all funds generated will be donated to the school project fund); and
· Master the art of mixing, blending and tasting port cocktails.
Festival favourites include:
· Tastings at the station barn or participating cellars of ports and varietal bottlings of port grapes;
· "Unravelling the Mysteries of Port" tasting presented at Boplaas Cellar by Carel Nel, Boets Nel and Fanie Geyser. A guest geologist will unravel the terroir of the region;
· The popular "Chocolate and Port/Wine Decadence" event, hosted by Belgium-trained chocolatier Marita Lamprecht and Cape Wine Master Junel Vermeulen. Sample local ports and varietal bottlings of port grapes with specially handcrafted Belgium-style chocolates;
· Youth and Local Artists Expo;
· Multimedia Arts Meander;
· Biodiversity Expo, boules and jukskei competitions, cultural/historical meander, daily organ recital and children’s entertainment;
· Tractor rides to the various cellars;
· Quality food and lifestyle stalls, coffee shops and restaurants with menus to suit everyone’s taste; and
· Mediterranean-style Sunday long table brunch at Calitzdorp Wine Cellar, overlooking the Gamka West Valley.
Pre-book your tickets through Computicket or book during the festival at the Calitzdorp Computicket box office in the station festival grounds. Early bird ticket specials will be available via Computicket from April.