Avondale, the family-owned and -run wine farm near Paarl, has been awarded the sought-after Amorim Environmental Award at the Drinks Business Green Awards, the world’s largest programme to raise awareness of green issues and reward those leading the way in terms of sustainability and environmental performance.
The Amorim Environmental Award, sponsored by cork manufacturer Amorim, is given to a wine brand or marketing campaign that demonstrates consideration for the environment as part of its inherent ethos.
Entries are judged on adherence to natural solutions, environmentally friendly pest control, recycling plans, renewable energy utilisation and reduction of waste. Further criteria taken into account include the eco-credentials of the packaging and promotional materials.
Environmental initiatives that contributed towards Avondale receiving the accolade include:
· Pioneering the BioLOGIC® methodology that incorporates certified organic, biodynamic and scientific farming principles in order to create living systems naturally;
· Encouraging biodiversity as a primary indicator of the environment’s health;
· The use of natural predators to combat pests;
· Development of tools to receive continuous feedback on the ecosystem’s health, including the use of Leaf Sap instruments which monitor the vines in real time;
· Avondale makes use of a natural waste system: a three-dam system interlinked by spiralling channels of reeds to emulate the way water is cleansed in rivers;
· An ongoing programme to clear alien vegetation and plant indigenous trees;
· Use of FSC-accredited natural cork closures as closure of preference. Avondale’s green packaging includes biodegradable, recyclable tin capsules for closures; polystyrene-free recycled boxes; non-polystyrene inners and 100% recyclable gift bags. Avondale’s promotional material is either digital or printed on recycled paper.
Johnathan Grieve, proprietor of Avondale and finalist in the Drinks Business Personality Award category, says: "It is extremely rewarding to see that a world-renowned publication such as the Drinks Business is actively seeking to recognise the dedication of those in the industry in minimising their impact on the environment. We are honoured and thrilled to receive such a prestigious award."